Can you resist adorable puppy eyes batting their sticky eyelashes at you from under the dinner table? Their persistence is charming, and there are times when you reward that toothy grin by slipping a little bit of food off your plate. But can your act of love actually be harming your pet?
According to the Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), there are certain human foods that can harm your pet. If you believe your animal has consumed unsafe and significant amounts of the following foods please contact your veterinarian or the APCC.
Avocados threaten the wellbeing of most rabbits, horses, birds, sheep and goats. Bird owners should mostly be concerned with cardiovascular damage and death. Horse and donkey owners look for swollen features around the head and neck of their animals due to edematous (the excessive amounts of watery fluid in cells, tissues, or body cavities).
Fat trimmed from meat, either cooked or raw, can cause pancreatitis in animals. You may be tempted to toss your dog a real bone, but refrain. They can choke on it and experience oral damage if the bone splinters. If parts of the bone are swallowed, the fractured obstruction could cause lacerations in the dog's digestive system as well.
Peaches and Plums
Pits found in the middle of the succulent flesh of these tasty fruits can cause inflammation in the intestines of small animals. They can also block the digestive track. Humans are aware of the poisonous traces of cyanide found in pits and refrain from swallowing them, but our innocent animals aren't.
Significant intake of citrus found on leaves, peels, fruit flesh, seeds and stems could cause irritation and central nervous system depression from the essential oils. Small doses can cause minor tummy irritation.
This delicious treat contains substances called methylxanthines, found in cacao seeds. If your pet ingests traces of this substance they can experience vomiting, diarrhea, panting, extreme thirst, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures and at times death.
Alcohol is damaging to your pet's digestive system, brain and nervous system. Intake of this substance can cause vomiting, obstructed air ways, tremors, abnormal spikes in blood acidity, coma and death.
Intake of grapes is linked to cause kidney failure, and even a small taste can cause your pet to feel queasy and weak. Within a day of digestion, your pet will be extremely lethargic and you will recognize a change in their attitude.
Believe it or not, macadamia nuts can be fatal if consumed by your pet. Even a small amount of raw or roasted macadamia nuts can cause muscle tremors, weakness, vomiting, high temperatures, rapid heart beats and possibly death.
Lactose is digested by the enzyme lactase, and pets do not contain high enough amounts of lactase to break down and properly consume milk and dairy products effectively. If your pet consumes high amounts of dairy products they can experience diarrhea or other tummy issues.