Do not underestimate the power of the media. Lessons on morality and acceptable human behavior are being taught to our children every day in the media through TV, movies, music, news programs, sports, commercials and videos. The morality of Hollywood is perverse, pervasive and persuasive, which is something that should frighten every parent.
The following list is a compilation of 20 modern "truths" that are taught in any given week on Prime Time TV.
1. If you are a married man, you are a buffoon, a compulsive liar, but probably both
2. Kids on TV never have to study
3. Kids are usually wiser than parents
4. A parent spanking their child is child abuse
5. Taking the name of the Lord in vain is no more offensive than saying "lettuce."
6. Using profanity is how people know that you are really serious
7. The Sabbath is just another Saturday with football
8. The real religion of men is football
9. The real religion of women is Oprah
10. Social gatherings without alcohol never happen
11. Stay-at-home moms are wasting their intelligence and earning potential
12. Religion is for the simple-minded
13. Smoking pot every once in a while is normal
14. Pornography is harmless
15. Late night comedians explain everything we need to know about politics
16. Corporations are evil and jobs are created by politicians
17. Dating at age 10 is normal unless the kid is a real nerd
18. Dating for anyone over 18 means having sex
19. Having sex without marriage is not a problem if you are over 16, use a condom and care for each other.
20. Marriage is great if you are in your 30s and have had sex with a lot of people so that you can be sure that you have made the right choice for your spouse.
If you are concerned that your children will believe these corrupt philosophies, you need to act.
As loving parents, we must
Teach our kids that just because it is on TV doesn't mean that it is true.
Speak up when corrupt philosophies are presented to our kids and refute them.
Educate our kids about morality, its purpose and benefits.
Explain that there is evil in the world and there are powerful people who want them to accept evil.
Counsel our children that there is a loving God that has given us commandments that are for our benefit.
Show by example how to love the sinner but reject the sin.
Discuss with our kids how the majority can be wrong, dead wrong.
Our children are precious to us as parents. We want them to have values and behavior that will help them be successful in life. We cannot risk allowing those in the media who do not share our values to teach our children concepts that are corrupting and harmful. We must be proactive in teaching our kids how to find enduring fulfillment and happiness.
Editor's note: This article was originally published on Roger Allred's blog. It has been republished here with permission.
Roger and his wife Sue have nine children and 21 grandchildren, so far. He has worked in many different jobs and in many different positions including a COO of a health care company, a teacher, the CFO of a feed mill, a CPA and the CEO of a power plant. In 2011, he received a heart transplant. In 2012, he and his wife hiked 60 miles in 6 days and summited Mt. Whitney to celebrate their 60th birthdays and the first anniversary of Roger's heart transplant. Roger currently works as a management consultant.